Thursday, November 6, 2008

Grease is the Word!

This week's Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge was "Grease". I've seen this movie many times since seeing it in the movie theater. I can't believe it's already been 30 years! Ouch...how the years fly by!

I had a hard time figuring out what I wanted to create. The music is the biggest inspiration for me. I've been humming the songs since Saturday. I thought of making a card related to the "Hopelessly Devoted to You" song.

I found this photo in IMDB.com. The idea hit me...Danny Zuko's leather jacket! It was a little ambitious since I didn't have too much time, but here it is. I made a gift holder for movie tickets. At Christmas time, I like to give small gifts to people like our mail carrier and our favorite storytime children's librarian. I appreciate them and want to let them know they do a great job.

I started out by distressing basic black cardstock. I ran it several times (in different directions) through my paper crimper. I also got out my frustrations on it by crumpling it up into a tiny ball. I cut a diagonal slit in the paper. I used my sewing machine to sew in a faux zipper. The collar was a little difficult to make. I sewed it too. I love how the silver snaps give it an authentic look. I copied the Grease logo and cut it out of red cardstock. I used a pencil to draw in the word "Great". I used by Sakura gel pens to outline and fill-in the letters. I added a little tag with the word "Job!" to complete the sentiment (sorry, I hate taking pictures at night..I need better lighting).

Movie Ticket Holder Ingredients
Stamps: none
Paper: Basic Black, Real Red
Ink: none
Other: paper crimper (Fiskars), corner rounder, Crop-a-Dile, Making Memories snaps, Making Memories brad, redline tape, dimensionals, sewing machine with black thread, Sakura black, white and silver gel pens

22 comments:

Arielle H Gordon said...

This is really cute!!! I love the faux leather!

Catherine said...

OMG! this is just too cute. I saw the same photo but i knew that i need to sew and i don't know how too :(

LOVE IT!

Sankari W. said...

OhMy Goodness - that is just beyond clever and unique and awesome! There is just no difference between the card you made and the photo - wow! love the way you did the jacket - and all that sewing --- you totally rock!!! Anthonette - this is just awesome!!!

Oliva Ohlson said...

How very clever! Love it!
Oliva

Carolyn King said...

WOW...fantastic and oh so clever! LOVE that--the jacket looks so real!

zukesgirl said...

That is AMAZING!
WOW

Charlene Austin said...

You are rock star talented! Seriously...I am in awe!!!

Enjoli said...

OMG! I love it!! Our office's theme this year for Halloween was the 50's... And my co-worker bought that DVD with the jacket on it. lol! You're soooo creative. =)

Amy, Ottawa, Canada said...

I saw the collectors DVD earlier in the week at Best Buy & thought how that would have been fun for a card. I just couldn't figure it out though. Thanks so much for the instructions. It is WAY COOL, Anthonette!

SmilynStef said...

Wow ... this is amazing ... fabulous card.

Brooke S said...

You Totally Rocked this challenge. This jacket looks so real. Totally impressed with your crafty skills! I love that you used your sewing machine. I totally have great intentions of dragging mine our but just get to lazy. If I cleaned my studio I could just leave it on one of the counters. Your attention to detail it brilliant! Thanks for playing with us. Congrats!

Hugs
Brooke

Erum Tasneem said...

oh this is just too good!
I am going to refer your blog to "inspirational"!

dasimonds said...

WOW.. Fabulous Job!!!
I love your faux leather..
the Jacket is Totally Awesome :)
TFS

Eva said...

Ohm WOW!!!!!! This is soooo amazing!!!

Denise ~ Paper Ponderings said...

I'm in awe. Amazing. How long did it take you? I'd love to see how you made it step by step.

Angie Tieman said...

Wow! I'm speechless with this card! YOu are totally the inspiration piece MASTER!! Every time you blow me away! That jacket and zipper is the coolest thing ever!

KAT said...

This is amazing - just love it!!!! Looks like a real leather coat - what a great man card!!!

Kristy Geddes said...

This is sooo cool.
How clever are you!

30 years since Grease, wow that does make me feel old!

Monica said...

That is just about the coolest thing I've ever seen! Great job!!!

Sonia said...

Fantastic!!! Cool idea!!!!
Love your blog.

Lisa Brown said...

This is AWESOME! How creative...love it!

StampingBetty said...

AmaZing! Yowza!