Friday, September 5, 2008

I Want to Hold Your Handbag

Can you imagine the Beatles song with this title instead?

I didn't plan to make this particular card for for Theresa's Designer Handbag Inspiration Challenge #5, but since I had silver foil paper, a perfect sized piece of chipboard and some textured cream colored paper, I had to use the architecture of the Dolce & Gabbana Miss Easy Way Satchel as my inspiration for this card. Almost every Tuesday evening, I take my son to storytime at the library. I was sitting next to a woman who had a Dolce and "Cabbana" purse. Even though it was a knock-off, it had this silver riveted tag on it. I used a slit punch repeatedly to get the look of a zipper opening. I used my silver gel pen to draw in the zipper. I have a buckle punch (I've never used it) that I used on silver foil paper to get the silver brackets. I cut out the middle part of the buckle for the look I wanted.

I also used the colors in the bag: Very Vanilla, Chocolate Chip, Summer Sun, Pink Pirouette, and Rose Red. I didn't use white, since I focused on the front of the handbag, and not the side.


After I finished the card, I couldn't figure out what sentiment to add to it. I reached for my Verve Feeling Groovy set and the idea came to me. I modified a Verve stamp by adding some individually stamped letters after "hand" to create "handbag". People, I may be pulling out this trick again for future competitions.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Card Ingredients
Stamps: Feeling Groovy (Verve)
Paper: Chocolate Chip, Summer Sun, Pink Pirouette, silver foil (Only the Best Los Gatos), cream textured cardstock (from Peru)

Ink: Rose Red
Other: Making Memories mini silver brads, corner rounder, SU slit punch, EK Success buckle punch, silver gel pen, dimensionals, chipboard

4 comments:

chloe said...

How cute is this!!
On the rub-ons: I suppose it depends on the brand as to how long they have before they expire: I only read recently that such a thing happened! I had brought a few packs of rubons on sale that were good brands (American Crafts) but were extremely hard to apply: turns out they were old stock :(
My guess for SU rubons would be less than a year? But I suppose lesser quality brands up to 6mths.
Best thing to do is when you get 'em use 'em!

iris said...

that is just about the coolest card I have ever seen! You should submit that and have it published! Really fun and cool. :)

Charlene Austin said...

OH MY WORD! This is incredible! Pure talent. I agree with Iris...get this submitted to a magazine!!

Two Happy Stampers said...

You are doing an awesome job on the challenges! Congratulations on winning this past week!
-Adriel